RSS

Don't Rain on my Parade

“This award is bestowed upon a fellow blogger whose blog’s content or design is, in the giver’s opinion, brilliant.”


Some rules of the Game:

a) Show off your honesty (and modesty) by thanking the person who gave you the award and link to their post.

b) List 15 honest things about yourself. Cheating makes you lame, so just play along, all you taggees.









c) Select 7 other bloggers you think deserve this award and pass it on to them.
d) Notify said bloggers about the award and invite them to be the honest ones next.

Okay, so first: Thanks TUIB, I think that your blog is absolutely fabulous. I get to read all kinds of stuff there, from beautiful poems to classy book reviews to just simple, childhood experiences, all written straight from the heart. You're awesome! :)

15 HONEST THINGS ABOUT ME

1. I am super-paranoid when alone. I mistrust everyone, which is really stupid because people have better things to do than scheme against me. That doesn't stop me from mentally calculating escape routes, imagining worst case scenarios and planning what I would do in case something goes wrong.

2. I love shops. I love their colorful displays, their logos and the names written artistically, how there is so much stuff in there, sitting on the shelves, waiting to be bought. One day, I'll have a shop of my own and it will have all kinds of weird, whacky stuff in it which the kids can buy and then take it to school and make their friends jealous.

3. One of my favorite books ever is..The Princess Diaries. There. I said it. Most of my friends have chucked those for good now, but I feel absolutely no shame in saying that yes, I still read them at night. I know that most sane people dismiss them as crass and it is for giggly, 13-year olds but I love them. I've been reading them since I was 12 and I have gotten so familiar with Mia's ramblings, her references to New York and food and TV and movies, the irritating way she goes on and on about how her life is over, that whenever I'm a little sad or lonely, all I have to do is read an excerpt and I feel satisfied. It feels like home to me. 


4. If I get a chance to play a role in any movie of my choice, I would choose the role of Parminder Nagra in Bend It Like Beckham (Titanic, which is my favorite movie, doesn't count. The movie AFTER your favorite movie) primarily because: a) Jonathan Rhys Meyers would be in love with me. b) Keira Knightley would be my best friend. c) I'd be a terrific football player. d) Its the perfect mix of Indian-ness and western-ness, football and weddings which is something I very much admire as its very hard not to lose yourself out there. e) Gurinder Chadha is an amazing director and the cast and crew looks so much fun, evident in this video:



5. I'm a compulsive shopper. If I see something that I like, I buy it. If I'm not able to, I fantasize about buying it and what I'd do with it until I buy it.


6. I love reading maps. Although my sense of direction is hopeless, I can sit and stare at a map for ages, reading the names of all the places there and trying to imagine what the people in those places would be doing right now. Coming back from school, ordering pizza, taking out the laundry....millions of individual lives on that one tiny piece of paper.


7. I want to work as a Romance Director for some time when I grow up . Its not an official profession, but I once saw on Travel & Living (TLC from 1st of September!) that the really expensive honeymoon resorts, which have every facility you can possible imagine AND MORE, hire a person who thinks up cute things for the honeymoon couple to do, and then lets them take the credit. Like if the husband wants to gift something to his wife and he doesn't know what, the Romance Director gets to know the wife by talking to her, interviewing the husband and all and then thinks up of the perfect gift and the best way to present it, letting the husband take all the credit while the wife goes "aww, I love it, OMG, this is just what i wanted." The Romance Director's laughing, seeing all this and will get an AMAZING load of money for doing this. Hell, I'd do it for free.


8. I love movies which are set some years back, like in the early 1900's or so. They reflect a beautiful charm, which is hard to find in movies these days. 


9. The whole of 9th and 10th, Brinda Ma'am kept trying to teach us French. But we didn't study; we were more interested in talking to her about perfumes and Paris. Now that I'm a part of the French Exchange, all I want to do is speak French all day. Shubhra and Surabhi teach me, since they are very good at French. I want to be able to converse with my french partner when she comes here, but more importantly impress her 19 year old brother when I go there with my French skills. Even though I studied French for a long time in school, I couldn't speak a coherent sentence in French until the the French Exchange news and the other day "I'm going avec elle" got out of my mouth.


* I think I forgot to mention it. My French partner's name is Raphaelle and she's coming to live with me in October for 15 days. She's absolutely cool, not only because she has an older brother (Pierre), but also because she travels a LOT and will have great stories to tell and (hopefully) wouldn't be the Snotty-French-Girl-Difficult-To-Bear when she's here. I'll go to stay at her place in May for 15 days and I CANNOT WAIT!


10. I classify activities into bad things (studying, doing anything assigned to me, basically things I should do) and good things (watching TV & movies, reading books, basically things I want to do). So if I have to do a bad thing, I need a good thing to look forward to because if the good thing isn't there, I won't be able to sit through the bad thing and eventually fall asleep. Thats why no matter what is on, I have to watch TV from 10 to 11 in the night. Like, I didn't mind the half-yearlies in September since October and November will be two great months. Besides, we are SUPPOSED to get bad marks in 11th, otherwise, how else will we learn?


11. I really LOVE stories that have strong, female characters, ESPECIALLY if they are evil. Like Wilhelmina Slater from Ugly Betty [ Whats the matter, people still view me as a drop dead gorgeous fashion Nazi] or Sue Sylvester from Glee [You know, the way you use your mental illness to help these kids is really inspiring. I'm shocked you're not married.]
But hey, good female characters are fun too, like Dr. Brennan from Bones.


12. I want an accent like Hilda's from Ugly Betty.


13. Ever since I've started studying Psychology, I absolutely love to provide a psychological reason justifying a behavior or an event. It really irritates other people sometimes. :D


14. I once bought a Superman t-shirt because the guy selling them was really cute. Pathetic, hun?


15. There's a girl who lives in my building, and when I grow up, I want to be just like her. She has an amazing sense of style and the hugest collection of formal skirts ever. Every evening, i meet her in the elevator, coming back from work wearing her sophisticated skirts and heels or going away to party. Also, she wears really good perfume.




Okay, so I tag Daksha,Neetu , Ketan, Priyanka Mishika, Soin and Rohith.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

14 Reflections:

Tangled up in blue... said...

Awww I love this post! See, isnt this funnn to do this and people are made up of all these little, little things that really set them apart from everyone else..right? :)

and no. 3, I am so totally that way about Enid Blyton books..how can anyone outgrow Mallory Towers? :D

and no. 4, Totally agree! I love the way Parminder and Jonathan kiss at the airport at the end..its so playful and cute! It is totally my perfect first kiss :D

and no. 6, I once pestered my mum to buy me this lovely Oxford Univ atlas that I then spent hours looking at..I love that thing you said about millions of lives inside a little piece of paper..:D

and no. 9, that wud be so much fun! totally like the exchange student thing in hollywood teen movies but in a nice way! :)

and no. 12, LOL! I keep wondering why Hilda's accent is so so different from the rest of her family's but hell ya, I love it! :D

Tangled up in blue... said...

and Romance Director, hahahahaha! awesome! :D

Tangled up in blue... said...

ooh and I once bought this really elaborate, sophisticated French movie called The Page Turner from this shop called Turner's Classics just coz the salesman was oh-so-cute! :D I havent even watched it yet..*embarrassed smiley*

Anonymous said...

Hi, Srishti!

Thanks a lot! This was the first time I was tagged, so it is extra special. :)

I'd comment on your individual points in brief:

1. I think it is good to be paranoid like that. In fact, I'm quite surprised you think like that. Because when I was your age, and even on growing up, I never used to think like you. :( Though I could actually see the contrivances of people, I used to find it difficult to come to terms with the idea that those people with whom you're nice could end up being evil to you. But I realized this phenomenon is far too common. So actually your apprehensions will go a long way in keeping you immune from rude shocks. :)

2. Wow, I never thought of shops that way! :) See this is what I like about honest and expressive bloggers. In life, it is very easy to become too full of oneself, forgetting that there is a sea of people - probably, all of them with their own perspectives in life - and that those perspectives are as real in that they exist as mine. I wish you luck to be able to fulfill your fantasy. :)

5. Hahaha! I'm exactly like you, perhaps, except that very few things catch fancy like that. ;)

6. I too love seeing maps, but for the same reason as you. The first thing I think upon seeing a map is how faithfully it might be representing the real landscape. At the back of my mind, seeing maps I also get awed by the collective human intelligence. We have got quite used to the idea of maps, but if one thinks carefully, the idea of scale, and something being representation of some other thing 'rather' than the real thing is an absolutely brilliant idea.

10. Of course, one ought to classify things as 'good' v/s 'bad'. I quite enjoyed the way you brought out this point. :) If you remember, I had expressed a similar idea in my post called 'A journey called life', especially, that I might try to climb up the mountain peak provided, it serves as "check point" to reach something more interesting.

13. Hahaha! Actually, I am not sure what the subject of psychology involves. I have some idea because of being very much interested in psychiatry. Would love it if some day you could do a post on broader aspects of what your curriculum in psychology involves.

14. I'd perhaps never part with my money only because I'd be charmed by someone. :P This despite the fact that I'm quite less careful with money otherwise. It's just that the moment I get attracted by someone I assume a guard, and I keep close tabs on each of my thoughts related to that person and whether what I might end up doing under its influence would be appropriate thing to do or not.

15. I'm past that age of wanting to become like someone, though in the past it used to be like that. Or no wait, if not becoming "like", I would definitely like to imbibe a few qualities of Harmanjit Singh and Atanu Dey.

Really interesting post, and thanks again for tagging me!

Anonymous said...

And BTW, I forgot to mention, I have switched over to WordPress, and here (click) is my tag.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for the tag!!
I so relate to pint no. 4 :D
I'd put up a post soon :)
And yes, keep blogging :)

Srishti said...

@TUIB: It is, it is fun! :D I knoww, Endi Blyton! Famous Five and St. Claire's, their midnight feasts :D somehow, I always found reading about their food quite fun :D

And yeahh, French Exchange! Yepp, it'll be fun, but I have to go there in May, its too far away :( Really looking forward to 19th though :D
Hahahaha, Page Turner! Hi-5 banta hai! :D

@Ketan: Hey, when did u change ur name to KetPan? :S And sure, I'll tell you about my Psychology curriculum, no problem. :) Haha, u would never buy a siperman t-shirt from a cute guy because you'll never be a teenage girl! :P And I quite enjoyed reading ur tag too :)

@Priyanka: Yepp, I wanna see ur tag soon! And you too :)

Tangled up in blue... said...

Oh yeah! The fooddddddd! :D I loved hearing about all those pies, and scones, and muffins and such and kept thinking how English schoolchildren must be the luckiest in the whole wide world if they kept stuffing themselves like that and having adventures all the time..

and umm *sheepish smile* yes, Page Turner! :D I'm sure it must be a really fancy Le Turneur de Page or something in French! *high-fives*

Srishti said...

I knoww, right! I read the paragraphs that contained the food over and over again. Midnight feasts were YUMM!
Haha, do lemme know if you EVER watch Page Turner! :D

Unknown said...

done with the tag :)
and I hope we can meet up some day too :)

Megha said...

Honored to have my name there. And damn Srisha! You are amazing! I swear you are. =P
And yes, a lot on your post is a lot to ponder upon. Those 15 honest things can bring shame to the cool ones cuz that one honest confession right there blows out on a million. Actually, it ain't a confession, but cool enough. You're honest and therefore fearless. I'm proud of you. =)

Srishti said...

@Priyanka: Me too! SO much. :)

@Neetu: Aww, baby, thats so sweet :) You do the tag too, pleaseee :D

Anonymous said...

I dint know you dreeamed.
You like reading maps? i dint know that.
And you can be my romance director!!


Awesome post I must say.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.